Monday, April 5, 2010

THE 4 F'S

Freedom, Faith, Friends and Family! These are my 4 F’s.

I first heard President George H. W. Bush (Bush 41) talk about them at a motivational seminar in Atlanta, Georgia shortly after he left office in the early nineties. I adopted the 4 F’s and use them to help guide me.

FREEDOM
In our hectic, day-to-day lives we seldom if ever take the time to think about and give thanks for our freedom. As I am writing this we are engaged in “The War on Terrorism.” The terrorists want to deny us our freedoms just like they did on 9/11. I don’t think we want to give up our hard earned sovereignty like women’s rights, voting, free expression and freedom of speech. It is a battle we must endure and win … “Don’t tread on us.”

FAITH
I feel it is so important to have faith in some higher level being. You must have beliefs and convictions to help get through our day-to-day lives. Isn’t it great that we have freedom of religion to be able to openly pray and meditate for our personal guidance.

FRIENDS
I have always said that you can count yourself lucky if you have more friends than you can count on one hand. I am talking about “Best Man” type of friends. These are the friends that will be there for you no matter what … a friend you can talk to for advice and counseling in strictest confidence … a friend that will help you financially if you find yourself in great need … a friend that will tell you straight even though it may affect your friendship.

I count myself lucky that I had four such friends. Unfortunately, I have lost three of them at early ages and the fourth was in a terrible automobile accident that left him less than 100%. He, too, recently died. My friends were there for me when I needed them and I think I served them well when they needed me.

FAMILY
The last F is for family. I saved it for last because I feel it is so important. When things are at a low level and you are most in need you can always turn to your family unit. We have always told our children that no one loves you like your spouse and your family. You can always count on your kin in a time of need.

As I have mentioned, it pleases my wife and I that our children’s best friends are their brothers and sisters. It makes us happy that our immediate and extended families are so close and caring for each other. Our door is always open to our family group as their doors are always open to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment