Wednesday, April 14, 2010

COMPULSIVE BEHAVIOR

As I reach the “sunset years,” I have become increasingly aware of the effect compulsive behavior has had on my family and friends.

I am certainly not a prude and did my share of drinking when I was “sowing my wild oats” and I kept it up until I got married. Fortunately, Carole and I steadily decreased our alcohol consumption to the point that we are now “social” drinkers. At no time did we drink at home by ourselves or allow our children to drink at home except for a small glass of wine or champagne on a holiday.

I had four really close friends in my life … “Best Man” type of friends. Alcohol has taken three of them at ages 40, 59, and 65. One was a lawyer; one a CPA; one owned an insurance firm. All were married and two had children. Two ended up divorced and one ended up in a homeless shelter.

There are many other forms of compulsive behavior besides alcohol … gambling, drugs, stealing, and eating disorders … and on and on and on.

I mention this to point out that compulsive behavior picks on all types and has a devastating affect on individuals and their families and friends. No amount of talking, financial support or intervention by family or friends helped these individuals.

It is important to watch for signs of compulsive behavior and give these individuals love, support and help to fight their obsessive actions.

1 comment:

  1. Catching up on your blog postings. I also think it's important to point out that we all are not perfect and have to constantly work to improve our own 'character defects'. Some addictions are also more socially acceptable like being addicted to exercise, work, religion, etc.

    ReplyDelete