Tuesday, April 20, 2010

REMEMBER NAMES

OF COURSE, THIS WAS THE GOOD OLD DAYS BEFORE COMPUTERS AND PDF'S
One of the most useful and successful techniques in getting along with people is to remember their names.

Early in my business career, I learned a useful technique that helped me gain the respect of my personal and business acquaintances.

I traveled extensively, visiting the many sales offices and manufacturing plants of my company. The visits would be of a short duration, but I would visit each site frequently.

I decided to build a logbook for each location by writing down the names of each individual. I would try to remember each person's name and other tidbits of information about them such as their wife’s name, birthdays, children's names and other interesting facts about them. As soon as I left them, I would jot down as many names and facts as I could remember. Later, when I was alone, I would enter my notes into my logbook.

When it was time to visit each location, I would pull out my logbook and browse through the names and facts. Many times I could not remember who the people were or what they looked like, but when I saw them it immediately came back to me. I would walk up to them and say, "Hi, Bob, how are you doing today? How is Mary? Is Mike still playing Little League baseball?" They would remark, "How do you remember all that?"


Sometimes I wouldn't see an individual for over a year, but by just reviewing my logbook of names before I arrived, I could recall many facts.


I have used this technique since the early 1960s and found it to be very successful. Everyone likes to hear their name and talk about their life and family. By mentioning their name or by asking a simple question, people will feel a close relationship with you and you will have earned their respect and admiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment