Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I Met God

It was a dark, rainy night when I met God. It was not the first time I met Him … As I mentioned in the Drop on “Meditation,” I prayed and meditated in a business men’s church group every week day for over 10 years. I still pray and meditate every day, all be it, not always in church but as I am exercising. I feel so cleansed mentally and physically when I am finished with my routine.

My communication with God had been through meditation and prayer but the most significant emotional event of His power and all knowing and caring presence was the night I met him face to face.

I was driving home from a late night meeting at my plant. It was about a 35-40 minute drive from the plant to my home. It was a terrible stormy night with lots of rain, sleet, thunder and lighting. I was traveling on the perimeter Interstate 285 around Atlanta, Georgia in the storm when my car had a tire “blowout.” I quickly worked my way over to the edge of the road and stopped.

I called AAA and was informed that, because of the bad weather, it would be a four-hour wait before they could get to me. Here I was stranded in a storm in my business suit and tie with a flat tire. I didn’t know what to do!

I noticed an exit a few hundred yards ahead so I decided to slowly work my way to and down the exit. I didn’t want to leave my car on the Interstate over night so I figured I could make my way down the exit and be in a better position to think thru my options.

As I sat pondering what I was going to do, a jeep pulled up behind me with a 30ish guy with a beard behind the wheel. He got out in the driving rain and started to walk towards my car. I was scared and hid my wallet under the seat … I didn’t know what he might do so I had my guard up.

I rolled down my window and he asked me what was wrong. I told him I had a flat tire. He said, “Do you have an umbrella?” I told him I did. He replied, “If you will hold the umbrella for me I will change the tire.”

As he was finishing the tire change the rain stopped. I got in the car and retrieved all my cash from my wallet - $80. I figured it was the least I could do for all his efforts.

When he finished I tried several times to give him the money but he just refused. All he said was for me to do a “good deed” for someone else in the future.

I said, “At least tell me your name so I can properly thank you.” He said, "You can call me God.” He jumped in his Jeep and drove down the road.

I am convinced there is a God and he watches over you and helps you in many ways … sometimes in very unexpected ways.

It was not the last time I have talked to God but it was the last time I met him face to face.

No comments:

Post a Comment