Thursday, March 25, 2010

Life is a Contact Sport


Although it doesn’t seem fair, sometimes it is true that as you go through life, “it is who you know, not what you know.” Be that as it may, it does not minimize the importance of making and keeping good contacts.
It has been proven that over 80% of the people searching for a new job find that position through contacts they have made. It does not come from resumes, mailing letters, search firms or other means.
It is true that having contacts alone will not get you through life, but it does open doors for you that would otherwise be closed; and, many times it will put your name in front of someone that otherwise would not have encountered it.
I have found through the years that it is always important to keep a complete contact list.
I keep all of my contacts in an Organizer file that now has over 700 names, categorized in many different ways so I can search for the person or discipline that I am looking for.
Once a year I go through my contact list and “weed out” obsolete contacts. Surprisingly, when I finish this process, I still end up with about 700 names.

No comments:

Post a Comment