Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The USA … The Best Of Everything

One of the longest jobs I had in my business career was as the Director of International Technical Services. My job required me to travel extensively outside of the United States taking me to Europe, Central and South America, as well as North America. I also entertained people from all over the United States.

It was an exciting job, and I met many interesting people. One of the things that stands out the most in my memory was how much the people wanted to be like the United States. They were into our goods and services. Contrary to what you hear in the news, people from other countries held us in high esteem and in high regard.

In Mexico, we had a large contract with the Modelo Brewery, makers of Corona beer. Our contract was to design and oversee the construction of a large glass container plant, and upon completion, provide technical services and training of all their employees. Over this period of several years, I frequently visited them in Mexico City and received them at our home in the United States. I got to know their top management people very well.

I learned that when Modelo wanted to acquire expertise on brewing beer, they visited the Coors Brewery in the United States. Yes, Corona is really Coors beer in a new label and a clever marketing program.

Also, I quickly learned that when they came to the United States, they would buy our men's razors, clothing, especially Levi's and most anything else they thought they could get back into their country.

I also learned that things we take for granted every day were hard to get or almost non-existent in other countries. Simple things, like a hamburger or a tossed green salad. Since I traveled for three weeks at a time, this was usually my first meal when I arrived back home.

One humorous story happened on one of my first trips … Budapest, Hungary. I was staying in a beautiful new hotel, the Duna intercontinental, right on the Blue Danube River.

The first morning I went down for breakfast and decided I would start out with some orange juice. Imagine my surprise when they delivered a beautiful goblet with a half- peeled orange stuck in the top. Things we just take for granted are not always that easy in other countries.

Around 1999, our daughter and her family lived in England for two years. You would think this established country would have the best of everything. They lived in a beautiful, modern new home that was worth about $450,000. It was considered a luxury home in England. To her astonishment, it had no dishwasher, a very small refrigerator, and no clothes dryer. The heating system was the old-style, large steam registers, and there was no air conditioning. The toilets had a pull chain. There was one shower that was so small you couldn't turn around it. Most homes did not have a shower. The sink and tub were sealed with an old-fashioned chain and plunk.

My personal experience has taught me that the United States indeed has the best of everything. We have the best beer, wine, whiskey, clothing, ice cream, chocolate, coffee and in my opinion, food.
USA … USA … USA … USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment