Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Meditation

In the mid-80s, I had a series of jobs that required me to affect the lives of a great many people – I guess you could have called me a “hatchet man.” I admit it made a big impact on me since I was causing great pain to many families at various stages in their lives … I looked for some solace to help me get through it.

I would consider myself a man of some religious belief. I started attending a daily 7AM service at a local church. I could attend the service and still make it to work on time even though, at some point, it was a 35-minute drive. I went every weekday morning that I was in town.

When I started going to the church, there were probably five or six other businessmen there and we were relegated to the “cry room,” a small, glassed-in room looking out onto the main sanctuary. Shortly thereafter, a new Pastor – an organized, witty, little Irishman in his 70’s - came into the church and the number of attendees grew to the point that we had to move into the main sanctuary.

I watched the daily attendance continue to rise until there were over 100 businessmen attending the daily service.

Before I realized it, I had gone to church every weekday for over 10 years … it made a big difference in my life. I found that these 20 minutes of daily meditation helped me get through the big decisions in my life and helped me deal with the effect I would have on other people’s lives.

During this period, I found myself on the other end of the ladder when I lost my job … I was 51, with two children in college.

I was fortunate to have found that these few minutes of thought, reflection and prayer each day helped me get through this difficult period and I recommend that all people find a few minutes for private meditation each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment